Thursday, April 4, 2013

General Conference

I never realized how much faith going into General Conference would require of me. I have to have faith that my beliefs--especially my politics--are at least acceptable to God. This is unarguably a church run by Republicans. All it takes is one comment that sounds anti-Liberal--whether it was meant or not, whether it was stated as personal opinion or "thus saith the Lord"--and my life becomes so incredibly harder. I'm going to have all my well-meaning and loving family and friends prodding me to change my views or outright accusing me of apostasy. I'm going to have my Liberal acquaintances begin suddenly to attack the church with renewed vehemence. And most devastatingly, I'm going to have to choose between two halves of me that are so interwoven and complex, it would destroy my personal make-up. I have to have the faith going into this General Conference that the leaders will be guided to speak whatever they're going to say--and they will undoubtedly touch on politics because they always do--but that nothing will directly contradict my own beliefs. If I don't have that faith, then either I doubt even just a little bit that the church is wrong or my politics are wrong and hopefully I'm stronger in my convictions than that. We'll see.

On a lighter note, Happy General Conference everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment